<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 24, 2004

Again I can now add what was supposed to be there...

The recent assignment completely flipped my head... although they all tend to do this.
I worked on the Electroclash movement that I suppose is still in some sort of swing with the recent addition to the profile pack - Sister Scissors - based in New York but only able to get a record deal in the UK. Have a upcoming radio hit with an electro cover of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.
The Electroclash thing covers such acts as Peaches, Chicks on Speed, Le Tigre, Fischerspooner, DJ Hell, Gonzales among others... and I have always found the ascribed title somewhat "try hard" - but during the research and writing of the piece seemed to enjoy it among the plethora of titles bandied around in the media as various journalists and reviewers generally attempted to deplore the acts and the acts attempted to distance themselves from the grouping. Then again the name was trade marked by one of the hierarchal figures - Larry Tee from New York - so it places things in a dubious position for evaluation Electroclash
Anyway I found myself spinning down a hole of intrigue consumed by the relationship between consumerism and subculture proliferation – in the manner that hierarchal elements assume control for commercial exploitation purposes and in so doing create artefacts that contribute to development and profile. Then in a way this commodification hastens the process of incorporation as against the oppositional aspect. Before I knew it was lost in all manner of directions too consuming for what was required... but hey I can`t help myself. I need more time!
Otherwise I love this group of artists for their fragmented take on things and the prominence of women throwing sexism and the like back against the wall... along with the trashy hedonistic bizarreness.
PEACHES possibly the best.
Chicks on Speed for the concept.
Kitty-Yo cool Berlin based label.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?